I previously mentioned that even though I don’t wear a lot of makeup or use a ton of beauty products, I’m still absolutely obsessed with them. I especially love all of the anti-aging, skin brightening, under-eye targeting creams and lotions that I can possibly find. Dry shampoo has also become one of my biggest beauty staples over the last few months. My nursing school friends would be so proud! My basic beauty bag seriously consists of only a few items but I just swear by them!
Whether I’m getting ready at home & have all the time in the world, or I’m getting ready in just a few minutes between Pure Barre and work, my routine is pretty much the same. It’s simple & quick & does the job for me. Here are my favorites! *This post contains affiliate links.
Dry Shampoo: I used to wash my hair every single day and had no idea how damaging that really was for my locks. I’ve finally gotten to the point where I only wash my hair about every three days so my favorite Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo 3.5 oz is essential. Although I’ve only used the original, they now have a shampoo for brunettes, which is awesome! Having dark hair, I realize how tough it is to keep from having white spots from the shampoo throughout your hair. So if y’all have tried this, I wanna hear reviews! I’ve experimented with a lot of different kinds and this is by far the best. It works the best and smells amazing. I know it’s a little pricey so Not Your Mothers Shampoo Clean Freak Dry 7 Ounce is a great alternative. It works quite well and smells good, too!
Mascara: There are at least a million options for mascara out there and a lot of brands insist their product is the best but it costs a fortune. So many times the expensive ones aren’t even worth it! But if you’re looking for sky high, voluminous lashes without the sticky, cakey mascara feeling on your face, this stuff is for you. It is undoubtedly the best mascara I’ve ever used and makes me feel like I don’t need any other kind of makeup. I use Maybelline New York Lash Sensational Luscious Waterproof Mascara, Very Black. My eyes feel brighter and I just plain feel better with this stuff! Even other Maybelline products haven’t lived up the expectations I’d hoped. It’s extremely waterproof and comes off best with some coconut oil instead of eye makeup remover.
Which brings me to my next staple.
Coconut oil: This stuff is a miracle and is without a doubt, my favorite beauty product. For everything. Makeup remover, deep conditioning hair mask, I even use it like body butter sometimes. It’s all natural, of course, so it works for people who are trying to keep any chemicals out of their lifestyle. I even use it around my cuticles before I go to bed. As makeup remover, I just put a little on my finger and rub around my eyes until the mascara & eyeliner come off. It’s the only thing that takes it all off completely, and without much effort at all. When I use it in my hair, I put it from scalp to ends and make sure every hair is completely saturated. I massage it into my scalp, use a clip to tie up the hair, and then put on a shower cap to intensify the conditioning. Usually I try to leave it on for about 2 hours before washing it out with regular shampoo. I also sometimes put it on any dry skin, focusing on feet, elbows, knees or ankles. It works like a gem and you can find one of my favorites here Carrington Farms Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 54 Ounce.
Nail Polish: When I was younger, I would bite my nails down until they hurt so bad I practically needed band aids on each finger. Gross, I know. It was a terrible habit and NOTHING was working to get me to stop. We put cayenne pepper mixed with clear polish on my nails, we tried no bite, we tried putting little fake nails from Target on them. Everything. Then out of nowhere, I looked down and my nails were long one day! I had stopped biting them without even realizing it. Crazy how that works. Anyway, now nail polish is one of my greatest obsessions. I have more bottles than they carry at the store and can identify each of the colors in a heartbeat. I always paint my own nails instead of getting them done somewhere, mostly because I change my mind about colors so frequently, but also because it’s a little bit of a stress relief for me. My favorite brand of polish in general is Essie, and my favorite color is Peach Daiquiri. You can find it here essie nail polish, peach daiquiri.. Since gel manicures are becoming so popular and they’ve created gel polishes you can use at home to do yourself, I’ve definitely taken advantage. My favorite brand with gel polish and top coat is Sally Hanson in Red Eye. Its the perfect red for all occasions. They have the combos so you can buy the top coat & color together or you can buy them separately. Usually I pick them up at Target! You don’t need the special light or anything fancy to finish the manicure off, the top coat works perfectly. I always use this when I go to the beach for week and it lasts the whole time!
Whitening Strips: Crest 3D White Luxe Whitestrip Teeth Whitening Kit, Glamorous White, 14 Treatments. These are a game changer. So easy & they work better than any other whitening product I’ve used. I drink a lot of tea and coffee, so these babies are definitely an essential! I wear them on the way to work in the mornings or right before bed for 30 minutes about three days a week. They also make ones for people with sensitive teeth that work just as well!
And that’s it! These five items make life easier and help me feel my best. Couldn’t live without them!
What are your beauty staples?
*I know I’ve been referring you guys to Amazon a lot in my posts, I just think it’s awesome how much you can order and how quickly you can get it! You can literally get anything you could possibly need! Another thing that’s awesome is the opportunity for Amazon Prime. I’ve linked a 30 day free trial for Amazon Prime to get free shipping in 2 days on thousands of products on the site. I definitely encourage you to at least try Amazon Prime, if you haven’t already. There’s always an option to cancel after the initial 30 days, but the benefits are totally worth it!
Over the last six months, I’ve been looking at my life & my overall health from a different perspective than ever before. Making big changes & small changes in an effort to just be happy. At the beginning of May, I decided I wanted the whole month to be focused on mindfulness and creating a healthier state of mind, rather than solely working on a healthier body. I figured spending 31 days being more aware of the simple things, paying attention to my breathing and thinking, and being more appreciative of the little things would create habits to be able to continue this lifestyle long after the month ended. For so long I put my main focus on the physical aspect of healthy living and had never even considered the mental and emotional aspects. Crazy right? Unfortunately I think a lot of young people approach ‘healthy living’ this way. I don’t even pay enough attention to the things I’m eating or drinking so I especially wasn’t paying enough attention to clearing my mind.
So here we are at the end of the month and I definitely feel like an improved woman. There are a few things that I’ve been sure to do every single day since May 1st that I wanted to share with you! I know we’re all so busy these days and sometimes it’s hard to take 20 minutes out of the day for yourself, especially in addition to your workout. But you need it! Do yourself a favor and take a little more time out of each day for yourself. Your body and mind will thank you. I promise! Here are a few of the biggest things I’ve incorporated into my daily routine.
- Start each morning with green tea. No special brand, iced or hot. Add some lemon juice to it or drink it plain. Green tea is a natural diuretic and has been proven to help your belly flatten out when you drink it regularly. It’s also said to improve brain function. The biggest reason I drink it every day is because it honestly just makes me feel better.
- You could also add cinnamon and apple cider vinegar to your daily cup. This combo has gotten a lot of good press because it can help to lower cholesterol!
- Exercise. Do 100 crunches, 50 push-ups, go to the gym for cardio & weight work, hit a Pure Barre class, run outside. Anything to get your heart pumping and body moving. Working out in the morning boosts your metabolism and gives you all the endorphins you need to make it through the toughest days at work. Plus, it’s out of the way first thing! No one has ever regretted a good sweat session.
- Deep breathing exercises. Maybe it’s before you even get out of bed, maybe it’s in the car on the way to work, or it’s before you fall asleep at night. Even if you only do this for one minute, the benefit is still great! I always breathe in for 10 seconds, breathe out for 12 seconds. This helps you literally blow off some steam and any anxiety or frustrations you have about the day will dwindle away. If you’re doing these at night like I usually do, it helps clear the mind from the day’s events so we’re not thinking about everything that we still need to do or about anything that happened throughout the day.
- This has probably been the biggest key to success for me. I used to let so many small things frustrate me & by blowing off some steam this way every single day, I feel brand new.
- Meditate. I recently downloaded the Mindfulness app on my phone and I can’t believe how much it helps! You can set reminders each day so you don’t forget and it also sends a motivational quote. They have 3, 5, 15, and 30 minute sessions. All of them are beneficial, and with as little as 3 minutes, there’s no excuse not to! This is one of the biggest practices that has helped immensely in realizing what’s really important in life. Spending time getting to know my mind better has helped me just be happier, more motivated, definitely more upbeat through the day. I usually spend 3 or 5 minutes right before bed with one of the guided exercises. I’ve slept better this month than I have in the last six combined.
- Call someone you love. Whether it’s your mom, sister or brother, best friend, it doesn’t matter. Just give them a call, tell them you love them and you’re thinking about them. It will not only help you feel better but it will make their day too!
And that’s it! Just five little steps that have made me happier and feel so much more content with my life. I haven’t been the most happy with my current working situation so doing these things each day has helped pull out the good things in everything I’m faced with every day. I just decided one day it was time to control all the aspects of my life that I possibly could. By doing this, the negative things that come my way that I can’t control don’t seem so bad. My shoulders are far less tense, I laugh a lot more, and my every day feeling about life is much improved.
Each step is done in no particular order but every one of them is so worth the little extra time and oh so necessary. I’m definitely in the habit of each step and on days where I forget my tea, I just feel out of whack. These habits have helped me immensely and I hope they can do the same for you!
My next goal is to start incorporating yoga into my routine! Any recommendations on where to start?
Do you have daily routines that you just cannot live without?